Book Review: Circe by Madeline Miller

Saturday, March 20, 2021




Author: Madeline Miller
Publisher: Little Brown and Company
Published: April 10, 2018
Genre: Historical Fiction
Subgenres: Fantasy, Greek Mythology
Age Group: Adult
Representation: Feminism
Trigger Warnings: Body horror, Childbirth (with complications), Rape, Torture


Page Turning Stars: ⭐⭐⭐ - It was okay...


👉🏽 Check out this book on Goodreads or buy the book on Amazon


**May have very few spoilers**


Like many Greek mythology stories, this one is told in the POV of Circe. In my opinion, I felt Circe was a rather boring character. However, I did enjoy that she was able to overcome the situations she was placed in. Another thing I enjoyed about Circe as a character was that she displayed many mortal qualities. To name a few: loneliness, the way she tended to her island, the hard work she put in, motherhood, and vengeance. At times, I forgot she was immortal. Every time someone identified her as a goddess, I was like "oh yeah." I kinda/sorta enjoyed the overwhelming love she felt for her son. Circe's trials of motherhood was something that I could relate to only because I am a mom.  It was nice to see the extremes Circe would go as a mother, and the complications mothers' face as their child grows. However, sometimes it became a bit much and boring at the same time. It just wasn't holding my attention and often wondered if Miller was trying to portray post-partum depression or if there was something seriously wrong with her child. 🤔


In the beginning, Miller found a way to wheel me in and I was hooked. However, then I slowly started to lose interest and felt the story just dragged on and on. About 150 pgs. in, I felt like I couldn't go on any longer. I reached a certain point and had to put it to the side because I felt like it was so boring, repetitive, and like I was falling into a reading slump. The story just became uninteresting after awhile because let's be real, what more can be spoken about when Circe. She is on an island by herself (most of the time), doing the same things every day, while also having a lover every now and then.


If you're looking for Greek action, then do not pick this up. You aren't getting any of that in here. I also felt that there were so many characters thrown in, that really added nothing to the story. The romance in this was meh. I felt like the relationship Circe and Odysseus had was quick and casual. I was more invested in the relationship Circe had with Daedalus. I felt it was the only one where I saw that Circe actually loved. Then later on, I felt a spark of interest in her relationship between Telemachus and actually wanted more of it.


Though I gave this 3 stars, I would still recommend it with warning. The things I enjoyed about the overall book, is the stunning cover (specifically the international version) and the lush writing style. I was drawn into this world because of how beautifully written it was and how descriptive the world was. Miller wrote this story so beautifully. Though Circe was made to look invisible and like a villain by everyone who knew her, Miller humanized and gave her strength to overcome these obstacles. That is one of the main things I loved about this story and felt it was portrayed in such a feministic way. This portrayal of Circe's feministic embrace of womanhood had all the relatable things we go through as women. This story was entrancing, dramatic, and tragic -yet strong and powerful. And the best part is Circe was so unapologetic for it all. 




No comments